Original sketch of Gertrude Jekyll from The Making of A Garden, Gertrude Jekyll. An anthology compiled by Cherry Lewis, publ by Antique Collectors' Club, 1984

 


This sketch is of Gertrude Jekyll.  I could not find the name of the artist who did this sketch but the anthology is compiled by Cherry Lewis.  "For surely it is impossible to read Miss Jekyll without feeling spurred on."  I have read a  little of her (Jekyll's) work and was struck that it was not authoritative or pompous in style.  It came across as genteel and modest.

Extract from pg 16 of The Making of a Garden (details as for title above).
"I have learned much, and am always learning, from other people's gardens, and the lesson I have learned most thoroughly  is, never to day 'I know' - there is so infinitely much to learn . . .Nature is such a subtle chemist that one never knows what she is about, or what surprises she may have in store for us."

Comments

Popular Posts