Third card from The Wilson museum with comments on colour wheel and design.


 The above card is designed by Ella Charles, ellacharles.com

This card is striking as it displays our three primary colours.  This time it is a more traditional blue than turquoise.   The red impacts on the blue making it appear black.  White is used to provide a light framing background to bring the design into sharp relief and again to depict certain things. Not cloud this time but hands and faces, ie parts of human anatomy.  It was only when I thought of it like this that I could see the feet at the end of the design and realised that the S shape stood in lieu of a clothed body. When I had bought it originally I had thought that I am not quite sure what is completely going on here. I studied it later and it came to me.  At first sight it reminded me of the symbolism and energy of a dragon and had an oriental feel I thought.  Dragons are often seen as red or orange, yellow or some of these colours combined.  I saw what was not there on seeing the usual dragon colours and twisting shape. This shows the power of colour and design to make us revisit something even when that is not what is actually depicted. The headresses were about the last thing I focused on and as feathers may indicate an indigenous or tribal people. Overall the vibrant colours have an exotic feel, oriental, Latin American, African, tribal. The yellow T shape  and blue bar look  like they top a container shape and provide an abstract feel as does the unusual depiction for bodies.  

Energy - vibrant and happy due to depiction of smiling faces. More female than male but could be used to be sent to either sex. Generally cards are bought because they are cheerful, and bring joy or beauty.

One word summary - Quirky

Successful design?  Yes. Referring back to our task of looking for letters it is an example of an S used in design.  I felt having undertaken that assignment to look for letters that they seem to be the building blocks and components of a lot of design work.  Also a lecture session gave us an outline as a starting point for our design.  It may have been a more pointed starting structure than the flowing nature of an S design on that occasion that I picked but an S or other design shape can equally provide a starting point for a design.

Comments

Popular Posts